I want to talk about cheese. It's not unusual. I love cheese cheddar, mozzarella, bleu cheese. On a wild day I'll even take that stuff that they call cheese that squirt out of a can. But I don't want to talk about snacks. I want to talk about a hearty soup - a Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup. It's one of my favorites. If it's on the menu in a restaurant, I'm definitely going to order it. The problem I had was when I wanted to make it at home all of the recipes that I found online or in books required you to use an immersion blender and I don't have an immersion blender. Or you had to pour the hot soup into a stand blender. There was so much soup in the recipe that you were going to do that in batches. And I don't want to pour hot liquid anywhere but into my mouth. That is when my recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup was born.
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup onion, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 box chicken broth
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/2 cup heavy cream (or whole milk)
1 pound shredded cheddar cheese
Notes / Directions
1. Simmer broccoli and cauliflower in a large pot of water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt butter in the same large pot. Add onion and cook until translucent.
3. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add broccoli and cauliflower. Cook and break up large florets with wooden spoon for 5 minutes.
5. Add flour. Stir until white color is gone - about 4 minutes.
6. Stir in chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring often.
7. Stir in cheddar cheese soup.
8. Drop heat to low (wait for electric burner to cool to low heat before continuing.)
9. Stir in cream.
10. Add shredded cheese in batches. Stirring each batch until melted.