I know that this is the time of year when everyone is turning their life around and resolving to eat healthy. I'm with you, believe me. I just think that all things are healthy in moderation. So have that green salad, but that new lifestyle is never going to last if you don't treat yourself every now and then. And some days nothing but a warm bowl of creamy macaroni and cheese will do. It literally took me years to perfect this recipe and now it is truly one of my favorites.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 pound American Cheese
1 pound shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup baked cheese snack crackers
1/2 pound elbow macaroni pasta
1 10.75 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
Notes / Directions
1. Cook macaroni to al dente in large pot of boiling water.
2. In a separate pot melt butter and whisk in flour until white color is completely absorbed.
3. Whisk in milk and cream. Whisk continually until smooth and thick.
4. Add cheddar cheese soup until smooth.
5. Turn heat to low and whisk in cheeses until smooth.
6. Pour cheese sauce over cooked macaroni.Stir until macaroni is evenly coated. Place over low heat for ten minutes stirring occasionally.
7. Place snack crackers in a gallon storage bag and crush to fine crumbs.
8A. Pour macaroni and cheese into a baking dish, sprinkle cracker crumbs evenly on top. Bake at 375F until bubbly (About 15 minutes.)
8B. Use cracker crumbs as garnish without baking.